Environmental Protection Dept. (EPD) is seeking for a Senior Engineering Consultant to support company activities & projects. This role requires high-level strategic expertise, along with considerable technical knowledge of desert vegetation restoration. The UN has identified desertification (the loss of vegetation in arid ecosystems resulting in dust storms, sand movement, desert expansion, loss of agriculture, etc.,) as one of the three key challenges to sustainable development. It is a tremendous global concern, especially in the region. Restoring native plants in one of the hottest, driest places on earth at the hottest time in history, in some of the poorest soils in the world, using minimal water, is a major technical and strategic challenge. A strategy for using applied science to determine methods of growing native trees is also required.
• Ph.D. in botany, desert horticulture, or desert ecosystem restoration or related discipline.
• Extensive world-class background in nature-based climate solutions, desert ecosystem restoration, and applied botany
• Solid industry experience with both international and national oil companies
• Total relevant experience of at least 20 years, with at least 10 years of experience in biodiversity protection.
• Elite level verbal and written English communication, presentation, and negotiation/influencing skills.
• High-level social/emotional intelligence.
• Solid background in communicating with Executive Management, international delegations, and Company boards of directors.
• Experience in the Arabian Peninsula is desirable.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Develop and implement a Company strategy for (i) restoring desert ecosystems degraded by legacy and ongoing Company activities, and (ii) the plantation of native trees, shrubs, and perennials on Company facilities and communities in water-scarce environments.
• Provide high-level technical consultations related to nature-based climate change solutions, desert restoration, reforestation, desert plantations, ecosystem restoration in water scarce environments, carbon offsetting and sequestration, botanical survey, plant species recovery, and applied plant science.
• Lead the evaluation, development, and/or implementation of new technologies that aid in desert restoration in Company areas.
• Provide high-level strategic advice to help ensure the Company meets growing international requirements and expectations on biodiversity protection, such as UN Conventions on Combatting Desertification, Biological Diversity, Conservation of Migratory Species, and Protection of Wetlands, as well as national expectations, such as the Vision 2030, and the Company’s environmental protection policy.
• Shape Company policy by engaging corporate, industry, national, and international policymakers and by updating and developing Saudi Aramco engineering standards and procedures pertaining to desert ecosystem restoration.
• Assure Company compliance with government environmental regulations by implementing standards, improving monitoring, leading environmental audits, and supporting projects and facility operations with regards to ecosystem restoration.
• Enhance Company performance by deploying suitable desert ecosystem restoration technology, sharing knowledge, and reviewing project designs, environmental impact assessments, and environmental permits.
• Foster Company stewardship by conserving natural resources, promoting public awareness of desertification and desert restoration issues, and building local capacities.
• Build capacity within the Company by supporting the professional development and mentorship of young Saudi engineers in the field of Desert ecosystem restoration.
Req Id: 19013BR
Job Status: Open
Company: Saudi Aramco
Click here to Apply Online