The beautiful and culturally progressive State of Qatar is home to the world-class post-secondary institution, the University of Doha for Science & Technology (UDST). Internationally recognized as a comprehensive technical university, UDST is committed to high-quality, student-centered education. This commitment is reflected through state-of-the-art facilities, accessible and responsive technology programs, and strong partnerships with the industry.
With more than 600 staff and 5,000 students, UDST is one of Qatar’s largest post-secondary institutions offering applied diplomas, degrees, and master’s programs through student-centered learning. By providing training in a range of technical areas including Engineering Technology, Health Sciences, Industrial Trades, Business Studies, and Information Technology, UDST brings the State closer to the goals of the Qatar National Vision, 2030.
The College of Engineering Technology (CET) at UDST invites applications for the Lab Technician positions in Electrical Power and Renewable Energy and Automation and Control Systems engineering programs.
Reporting to the Head of Sustainable Systems Engineering Department, the successful candidate will be responsible for all aspects of the undergraduate teaching laboratories for the Electrical Engineering degree and diploma programs in electrical power and renewable energy and automation and control systems. He/She will actively participate in the design of lab instruction material, evaluate student progress and manage the resources of the learning environment. The successful candidate will be responsible for the inventory, monitoring, and maintaining of workshop and laboratory equipment within the specified program area. The successful candidate will liaise with industry and other educational institutions; provide technical and resources support to the faculty and students on final year/capstone and research projects within the specified program area.
The successful candidate will also:
• Assist in setting up new labs.
• Administer the daily operations of the laboratories, and enforce lab safety procedures and regulations.
• Carry out routine maintenance and calibration of lab equipment.
• Communicate with vendors to source spare parts for teaching labs and departmental projects.
• Contribute to the lab committees and organize lab orientations for students.
• Determine the need for equipment and supplies and arranges for purchasing, receipt, and inventory of all laboratory equipment and supplies.
• Perform other tasks and duties that may be occasionally required in order to meet the requirements of the role.
All employees are expected to contribute to professional and community life within the University and beyond the aims of the University.
• BSc. in Electrical Engineering or a closely related field is required;
• Preferred Certifications:
Any relevant Electrical Certifications
• A minimum of five (5) years of employment experience as a practitioner/professional within the relevant discipline
• A minimum of three years of related experience as Lab Technician in Electrical Engineering laboratories (Electrical Power & Renewable Energy/Automation and Control Systems) in a university setting/environment.
Other Required Skills
• Participation in development and setting of relevant laboratories.
• Proven academic or industrial experience with electrical machines, PLCs, DCS, SCADA, microcontrollers programming, machine learning, Internet of things, electronic design and fabrication, process instrumentation and measurements, industrial automation and control.
• Strong knowledge of all Electrical sub-disciplines at the undergraduate degree level
• PCB design and 3D printing skills
• Knowledge of laboratory procedures and laboratory safety regulations.
• Participation/assistance in research and technology based projects.
• Commitment to applied and experiential learning as a pedagogy and a key feature of the UDST’s mandate
• Ability to design, develop, deliver, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessments incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in program outcomes.
• Digital literacy and demonstrated fluency in technology systems, and an ability to model and facilitate use of current and emerging digital tools to support research and learning
• Demonstrated ability to develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable students to be active participants in their own learning in classroom and Workshop environments
• Commitment to the effectiveness, vitality, and self-renewal of the teaching profession through self-driven continuous professional development and life-long learning
• Effective oral and written communication skills
• Collaborative and collegial spirit and a demonstrated ability to establish rapport with learners, colleagues, sponsor-employers, and members of the community
Click here to Apply Online